Solana Beach High Net Worth Divorce Lawyer
Nobody wants their marriage to end in a divorce. However, there are times when divorce is the best option for everybody involved. In instances where there are significant assets between the two parties who are divorcing, the divorce process can become incredibly complicated. At Ratzer|Dobis, our Solana Beach high net worth divorce attorneys are ready to get to work on your case today. We want to ensure that you are treated fairly throughout this process.
Why Is Ratzer|Dobis Your Best Choice?
When you are going through something as serious as a divorce involving high net worth, you need to turn to a family law attorney you can trust both personally and professionally. At Ratzer|Dobis:
- We are 100% focused on family law matters, which has allowed us to specialize in issues pertaining to your case.
- We work to develop quality relationships with all clients by taking the time to listen to your story.
- The number one goal of Ratzer|Dobis is to make your life, and the life of your children, better by getting you through this difficult situation.
Why Do You Need an Attorney for This Case?
Most divorce cases are complicated, but this is particularly true when there are significant assets involved. Your San Diego high net worth divorce attorney will:
- Gather all documentation necessary to properly calculate all assets between the two spouses.
- Work with specialized accountants in order to properly track and appraise all assets between the two spouses.
- Handle all communication between you and your spouse and their attorney in an attempt to properly negotiate an equitable distribution of all marital assets.
What Are High Net Worth Divorces?
While most divorces will involve some form of property distribution, spouses with various types of assets that are high value are considerably more complicated. Consider the following types of assets that a San Diego married couple may have between them:
- Retirement accounts (401ks, IRAs, etc.)
- All checking and savings accounts
- Investment portfolios
- Stock options related to their employment or business arrangements
- The marital home
- Real estate property (marital homes, second homes, vacation homes, commercial property, investment property)
- Any businesses owned by either party that need to be assigned valuation
- Professional practices in which one party may be a partner to (physician PLLCs, law firms, accounting firms, etc.) that need to be assigned valuation
- Investments and collectibles, including things like art collections, jewelry, cars, coins, and more
In many cases, marriages that have lasted for many years accumulate multiple types of assets. Couples do not have to be necessarily wealthy for a divorce to be considered “high asset.” Equitable distribution in high net worth divorce cases is going to take complex negotiations in order to get the distribution amounts as close to 50/50 as possible.
What Are Common Issues in High Net Worth Divorces?
High net worth divorces can have many different complications. The value of marital property alone can lead to a difficult, contested and drawn-out divorce case. There are specific reasons, however, why a high net worth couple often hires attorneys to represent them during divorce cases. These types of cases involve many common issues that can be difficult to work through without assistance from an experienced legal professional.
- Separate vs. community property. First, the couple will need to determine whether each asset falls under separate or community property. It can be difficult to determine the identity of high-value assets. One spouse may have owned certain assets prior to the marriage, but these assets may still get divided in the divorce due to appreciation. A prenuptial or postnuptial agreement may also impact property division.
- Many high net worth couples have significant assets in the form of investments. Investments such as real property, retirement accounts, savings accounts, stocks and bonds, and life insurance plans must be divided in a divorce case in California. Dividing investments often requires analyzing the appreciation or depreciation of each investment during the marriage.
- Jointly owned businesses. If the couple has a jointly owned business, dividing the business in a divorce can be complicated. The couple will have a few options. They can continue co-owning the business after the divorce, one spouse can buy the other spouse’s share in the business out, or they can both agree to sell the business and divide the profits. The right solution for you will depend on your case and goals.
- Tax impacts. The tax impacts on a high net worth divorce can be significant. Expensive assets often come with a variety of tax implications. Your divorce lawyer can help explain the tax issues that may relate to dividing your real estate, sharing business entities, signing over assets and paying spousal support.
- International assets and forensic accounting. Many high net worth divorce cases involve assets stored on international grounds. If you or your spouse owns assets or has investments overseas, dealing with their division and the related tax implications can be difficult. Your case may also require forensic accounting to search for hidden assets in other countries.
Each divorce case in Solana Beach is unique. Most high net worth divorces, however, share common issues. The best way to prepare for, prevent and deal with these issues is to hire an attorney who specializes in high net worth divorce cases. Your lawyer can predict the issues you may encounter in your divorce case and create a smart strategy for working through them.
How Can a High Asset Divorce Lawyer Help?
Hiring a high asset divorce lawyer in California can help you yield positive results for your case. Your lawyer can make the entire divorce process easier, faster and more stress-free for you and your family. Your lawyer will have on-the-job experience handling cases similar to yours, as well as navigating confusing California divorce laws and dealing with the nuances of a high net worth divorce. Your lawyer will know exactly how to help you and protect your valuable assets during a tough divorce case.
A high asset divorce lawyer in Solana Beach can help you limit the assets lost in your divorce case as well. Whether you were the higher-earning spouse or the lower-earning spouse in your marriage, your lawyer can protect what is rightfully yours. Your lawyer will use proven legal strategies to navigate complex asset issues and help you come out on the other side. Your lawyer can also act as a mediator during negotiations, increasing the odds of reaching a successful agreement with your spouse and avoiding a costly – and potentially risky – divorce trial. Work with an attorney near you to protect yourself during a high net worth divorce.
Let Us Get to Work on Your Behalf
If you are going through a divorce, and there are significant assets involved between you and your spouse, seek legal assistance from our Solana Beach high net worth divorce attorneys as soon as possible. These divorce cases can become incredibly complex, but having a Solana Beach high net worth attorney by your side will ensure that you are treated fairly and receive the assets you are entitled to. Let the Solana Beach high net worth divorce attorneys at Ratzer|Dobis get to work on your behalf today. Feel free to contact us via our online form or by calling (858) 793-7700.