Are Certified Family Law Specialists Worth It?
Posted in uncategorized on July 22, 2021
A certified family law specialist is not the same as a standard family law attorney. Certified specialists have undergone additional training and passed further requirements to become certified as specialists in their fields. Although it may cost more to hire a certified family law specialist in California, it is worth it if you have a lot on the line. If your divorce case involves a child custody battle or valuable assets, for example, hiring a specialist can give you the extra edge that you need.
What Qualifications Do Certified Specialists in Family Law Have?
Certified family law specialist is not just a fancy title. It means that the family law attorney has undergone a significant amount of additional education and training in this specialty area – and passed an additional test – compared to a standard attorney. Attorneys hold this distinction with pride, as it means that they have met a long list of strict demands enforced by the State Bar of California. These qualifications are:
- Practice family law for at least 5 consecutive years, with at least 25 percent of the time spent in family law.
- Complete continuing education in family law that exceeds the requirements for a general State Bar license.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and experience in family law by completing a variety of matters within this specialty.
- Passa written examination (similar to the bar) exclusively dealing with family law.
- Remain in a favorable standing with peers and judges in family law.
Once certified, the attorney must continue his or her education to maintain the certification, as well as recertify every five years. A certified specialist in family law will have more in-depth information and experience in divorce law than a typical divorce attorney in California. This can benefit you during a divorce case, as your attorney will have special knowledge, expertise and capabilities both in and out of the courtroom.
Reasons to Hire a Certified Family Law Specialist
With any type of family law matter, hiring an individual with a legal specialization can come with many important benefits. Your attorney will have considerable experience handling complicated family law matters, including divorce cases, child custody disputes, alimony and property division. Your certified family law specialist will have the ability to represent you in mediation and arbitration or take your family law case to trial, if necessary. A certified family law specialist can be worth the retainer and legal fees in the many benefits your lawyer will provide:
- Reliable and high-quality legal representation through every phase of your case
- Years of practice-area experience specifically in family law
- Experience handling various aspects of a divorce case
- Ongoing education in family law in California
- Aggressive negotiation capabilities and the ability to go to trial
- The ability to handle challenging and complicated cases
- The assurance that your attorney is truly an expert in family law
- Greater peace of mind during your difficult family law matter
If you are not sure whether or not you need to hire a certified family law specialist for your particular divorce case or family law matter, schedule an initial consultation to discuss your case in more detail with an attorney. A certified family law specialist will not waste his or her time taking a case that does not require his or her assistance.
Work With a Certified Family Law Specialist in Solana Beach at Ratzer|Dobis
At Ratzer|Dobis, both of our lead attorneys, Jim Ratzer and Morgan Dobis, are certified family law specialists. We provide high-quality legal representation to clients during divorce, child custody, spousal support and other types of family law cases. To find out if we are the right fit for your case, call (858) 793-7700 to request a consultation with one of our attorneys. Contact us for a free initial case evaluation in Solana Beach and the surrounding areas of San Diego County.